Thursday, August 03, 2006

Neighbours...

Who is my neighbour? Now, I hope you’re not thinking of ‘Ramsey Street’, but if Shazza and Dazza (and whoever else?) come to mind, don’t change channels just yet! I’ve been living in Newtown and its surrounding areas for the past 11 years. In that time I’ve observed significant changes in the demographics of the area from ‘slum’ to ‘slick’ as it’s slowly become gentrified. The gentrification of Newtown has occurred as a direct result of the housing boom in Sydney – something we’ve either come to love or hate! (Love, if we own property and hate, if we don’t!) Consequently, there has been a significant change in the types of people seen out and about. King Street has always been renowned for its interesting ‘characters’ and even today, it rarely disappoints. As property prices have risen there has been a significant exodus of the punk and bohemian influences once commonplace in the area and now a new generation of hip and happening young executives has moved in. The vast majority of students and low income earners have also largely been forced out. For as long as the Church has existed, Newtown Mission has had an effective ministry to the poor and homeless. As the demographic of the area has shifted the majority of these people have moved elsewhere, however, in order to continue receiving food and other assistance offered by the Church, people now commute. Those of no fixed address generally reside in hostels, refuges or local parks in the city. Newtown thus offers people a rare cross section of communities, from the poor and homeless, to the upwardly mobile and rich, not to mention the large homosexual community which continues to make its presence felt. In Newtown the clash of cultures and diversity of people seen on its streets is a fitting match for the jarring of truck brakes and bumper to bumper traffic which moves along at walking pace. The aroma of coffee, Thai food and incense is mixed with the smell of car fumes and diesel.
So, in the cultural melting pot which is our back yard in Newtown, how are we to respond? What is our responsibility as Christians to help the poor? To be perfectly honest with you, often I find myself weaving in and out of the ebb and flow of people, avoiding anyone who stands out as being a little unusual. In particular I find myself crossing the Street to avoid beggars and especially Greenpeace reps! On a good day I may offer to buy a person some food… but more often than not (and especially since I’ve been at College and ‘have no money’), I find myself putting up my invisible deflector shield and wearing my draft-horse sized blinkers in order to plough on right through the middle of the crowd! To be frank, I find such people confronting and uncomfortable! But, who am I trying to kid? Am I loving anyone at all? Am I merely living for myself? Sure… I give to CMS, but what about the man without food to eat or enough clothes to wear? What am I doing for him? It’s not as if I need to go to Africa to find such people. Sure… we have a welfare system - and yes, it’s true that most beggars use the money people give them to buy alcohol, cigarettes and drugs. But in the end, is it really money they need… or is it love? Well, having pondered these questions for a long time I eventually chose to volunteer at Newtown Mission drop-in - helping to serve food and talk to people who came in off the street, sharing the gospel with them. I did this for a year, until recently, when due to a timetable clash I am no longer available. And yet, during this time I can’t tell you how often I was challenged and how much I learnt from these people living on the streets. Most have everyday stories about success and failure and some have even been influential and significant people in their time. Many have problems that can’t be easily fixed, and yet, one thing all of them have in common is their need to be loved and their need to hear the saving message of Jesus. When people see the love of Christ in a person’s life, and especially in this context, few remain hardened to the message of the gospel!
I share this now, because I continue to struggle with what it means to love those who are our neighbours. I continue to struggle to know what it is that I am able to do for these people in a practical sense – and yet, having spent a small amount of time helping in a ministry that helps the homeless, I’ve seen first hand how fragile life can be. I’ve also witnessed the power of the gospel at work … ‘the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes’. And so it is that I know first hand, that it’s only by the grace of God that I am where I am today. It’s because of His grace that I can tell of His grace…

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Cleanse me from its guilt and power.

Not the labour of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Saviour, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

Augustus Montague Toplady (1740-78)

1 Comments:

At 11:00 pm, Blogger JT said...

Newtown mission, hey? I've been wondering about doing something like that. How do I find out more?

JT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home