Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Life on the surface...

The year 2008 has begun... and as is often the case with each New Year, resolutions have been made and started. This post represents something of a return to blogland, although I dare not call it a 'comeback'. On the surface, I guess it's an opportunity to interact with the news and views of friends.

As far as life goes, some notable changes occurred in 2007... With the completion of College I returned to teaching, but instead of Physics, I started teaching Studies of Religion. Initially I did this part-time in a private school, but in term 2 another job became available teaching Scripture in the public system. I commenced the new job and underwent something of a sea change. Moving out of the inner West I exchanged the bustle of King Street for a place by the sea. In 2007 I also started at a new Church and as with all change there is typically a period of adjustment. Most often change allows you to reflect on things more critically, to evaluate where you're going and because change is uncomfortable one is forced to ask more probing questions... like, 'Why am I here?' 'Is this where I want to be?' 'What is truly important?'

The answers to these questions in my case were many and varied and I have to admit to struggling particularly with regard to Church. I attend a great Church in that it faithfully preaches the Word week in and week out. The music is of a high standard and those who serve are highly committed. There are generally good opportunities for people to serve, but as with most Churches it tends to be the minority who do this regularly. As with most Churches there is a notable absence of people in the 25-35 y.o. age bracket. There are also lots of sub-groups within the community, many of which remain segregated and unwilling to expand and be inclusive of other members. Few people take the initiative to speak to new-comers and even within the community, few speak to people they don't know. There is a polite acceptance that although recognized as a regular attender, one does not have to speak to people outside of their 'group'. The depth of fellowship is thus largely 'on the surface'. Work and weekends feature prominently in discussion after a service as does the task of working out the best supper venue. This lack of depth is ultimately deeply unsatisfying. As a community, most people seem to have an awareness of the problem, but few seem to be able to transcend the barriers to deeper more fulfilling fellowship. The question arises, 'Is this the place for me?' Although legitimate, I struggle with the self-focussed consumer oriented nature of this question. I'm also aware that even in the 'best' Churches, most of them struggle with these same issues.

It brings to mind Jesus' words, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (John 7:37-38)

Personally, I know how much I long for this - yet, I'm aware of how often I feel dry, thirsty and alone. Even the idyllic community of College seems to have been fractured by time and distance... and neither of these factors are especially great. In the end I guess I can be thankful for a few significant friendships... those who persevere, encourage, challenge and love me as I am. In the meantime the challenge is to wait patiently until all things are made new. It may be a 'New Year' and the beginning of new opportunities... but in the end what I truly long for is the New Creation.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 pm, Blogger JT said...

Bring it on brother! Or anywhere that we can, I don't mind. :-)

Though i am going away on Sunday till the next sat, in fact I could even do something tomo night before we go??? (as in Fri night)

JT

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger JT said...

Hey mate, how did/is the masters going?
You hear about the French Film Festival on Monday (17th)? Brad's organising it. $14.50.
You wanna come?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home